Thursday, August 4, 2022

Time

 Dear John,

Another week has gone by.  I went into your watch room today.  I'm overwhelmed by the amount of work that will entail.  10 years of pocket watch acquisition - parts and watches and tools - It's so much.  You spent so much time on those watches.  It was great to watch you learn - figuring things out for yourself and working with mentors whenever you could find them.

Of course, I also got to see people trying to take advantage of you.  I knew you weren't dumb from the moment I met you, but apparently you gave that impression to some people.  You were a negotiator - you always knew what you could get out of something you were buying so you had a good idea of what you should pay for it.  But so many of the watch guys thought that they could con you into letting them get the majority of the profit...or make you take a loss on something.  Dave and Jared and Tom - all thinking they could put one over on you.  I think Jared may have texted you the other day, but since you didn't save any contacts in your phone, I'm not entirely sure it was him.  Only Paul knows you're gone, and that's because you left me something to mail to him.  He said he'd help me sell your stuff, but I just can't do it yet.  First, because I can't find the key to that safe.  Second, because I would have to organize it all and I just don't feel up to it.  Third, because that was such a large part of you.

I finally sold that giant pocket watch clock at the garage sale.  I sold it for a loss, but it's gone from the garage.  I was actually pretty cool when I plugged it in - which doesn't mean I wanted to keep it.  I also gave the H's your Hard Lemonade bar light.  We never got around to hanging it, and they actually use their bar.  I think you wouldn't really mind, especially since SH has been helping me a lot since you left.

I was working on my paint-by-number picture at the bar, the other day.  I couldn't stop thinking about how you would be working across the way in the watch room.  I started doing those paintings to have some reason to get away from you and S when we were all stuck at home during the pandemic.  But then, over the last year, you started coming down to work on your watches while I was painting.  You'd play music and work on watches, and you'd get mad at me if I went back upstairs without you - "Never leave a man behind!" you would say.  It was nice to spend that kind of time together and I miss it.

Today, though, I went down and played the piano.  I was more terrible than usual, as it's been a while since I played last.  You found my playing both annoying and amusing.  It was the annoying part that kept me from playing too often.  Next up, I need to find a piano tuner.  And get the gas for the grill refilled.  And straighten out your stock thing with the contracting company.  There's always something else to do.  Ah, well, it keeps my mind occupied.

Love,

A


4 comments:

  1. In orthodox religion there is this very complex system of preparing countless commemorations, in church, where one has to bake, cook, sort, organise a lot of things, on a strict timeline - 9 days after the burial, 40, 3 months, 6 months, etc. I think the main reason was to keep the living busy. It does keep none busy, but, as all religious things, it becomes soon encumbering and meaningless. I chose not to do that after my family died, I was busy enough, they did not care, and I keep their memory live in my own way. They are always with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some people (like my MIL) need those timelines and rituals. I could maybe use some of that, since I'm a disorganized mess. But I show up for work and meet my obligations and drive the kid to work, so if my house is a wreck...who cares? But no, a timeline would just be something else I don't want to do and I already have enough of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just really helped me. I am going to sit down at the piano, too. An probably be more terrible than usual, too.

    I'm smiling at the scene of the two of you doing your painting/watch-working things separately and together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The piano can be helpful. Playing something that lets everyone know how you feel without having to say a word.

      Delete