Saturday, May 13, 2023

Unremarked

 Dear John,

Thursday was our 20th anniversary.  Technically, we didn't make it to 19.  Realistically, the only reason we usually noticed our anniversary was when we received a card in the mail from your mom's friend.  I don't know why it was so hard to remember the date.  There was a lot of consideration on my part in choosing the date.  We picked the days to go to Key West.  We arrived on the 8th, and needed to get a marriage license.  We couldn't get married on the 9th - it was a coworker's birthday.  The 10th was out too - it's my nephew's birthday.  The 12th - my cousin's birthday.  We were leaving for home on the 13th.  That left the 11th.  And yet...I could never remember the date without careful consideration.  You never remembered anything like that.  I'm surprised that you remembered my birthday, but if I remember correctly, that only started once I refused to celebrate it.  Suddenly, it became important to you.  

Speaking of which, after offloading all your watch stuff, I decided that S and I are taking the Alaska cruise that I've wanted to do.  We're going the week of my birthday.  My oldest sister is talking about coming with us - I hope she decides to.  S thrives when she has adults who love her around.  I am looking forward to it.  When we traveled, you wanted to stay close and only be gone for 3 days or less.  So we got to see a few out of the way places.  That Botanical Garden up north was really nice.  And Memphis was fun - we managed to stuff quite a bit in while we were there.  But I wanted to go to completely different places, and you couldn't do it.  

My aunt may be coming to watch the dogs.  It will be good to have a housesitter too.  I haven't seen her in a while. 

S is almost done with another school year.  She has been complaining about all her honors/AP classes.  I am going to have to crack down on her, because her main focus is social activities.  Then work.  Then looking at stuff on her phone.  Then maybe school.  I don't want to overload her, but at the same time, she has to plan for her future.  It's very frustrating.  We shall see.

Your sister-in-law asked if I had any voice recordings of you.  I sent her a couple (from your phone, which is still connected.  For $10, I don't see the point of getting rid of the line).  Today, I found the digital voice recorder, and all the files of S as a baby and toddler talking with you and telling stories.  It was good...and sad...to hear your voice again.  

I had to cut back trees today.  The ornamental plum likes to overhang the walkway.  That's fixed - for me, anyway.  Tall people may still have issues.  The maple tree in back is probably irritating the lawn guys.  I cut a bit off of that too.  I thought the knock-out rose was dead, and wondered how that could possibly have happened.  Knock-out roses are almost impossible to kill.  Turns out it was only half dead.  I trimmed a lot of dead branches, and then dragged them to the back.  Got a couple scrapes from the thorns.  I planted a couple bushes too - a raspberry and a mock orange.  I'm not sure if either of them will survive.  But there was a good storm, so the rain should help.  

S broke up with her second "boyfriend" in a few months.  She's not dating - just "talking."  Whatever that means.  Now I have to hear her talk about it all the time.  It's kind of exhausting.  But I'm glad she's having these low-stakes encounters.  It will help her figure out what she wants in the future.  

I guess that's everything.  You're all caught up.  Miss you much...

Love,

A

4 comments:

  1. What mixed feelings to hear John and baby/toddler S.

    I have never heard of knock-out roses, but I think I have one! (and the scars to prove it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the official name of knock-out roses - they're everywhere around here, because they are extremely low maintenance rose bushes.

    I forgot to mention the most important part of the yard work story! Looks like a topic for another day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Lori, I did not know what knockout roses were but I googled. They are pretty.

    I have been catching up on the posts that you made. Best wishes for that cruise. S is so much mirroring behaviour common for her age group. What socials does she get into? Is she more a participant or an organizer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very much into Snapchat. She watches a lot of TikTok, but I don't think she ever posts. She will make some videos with her friends though. I guess I appear on her story occasionally. She's more of a participant, but still a leader.

      Delete