Friday, May 19, 2023

It's not unusual?

 Dear John, 

By the time I met you, I had quite a bit of experience with loss.  My mom's father died 10 years before I was born.  My dad's mother died when I was 4.  My dad's dad lived until he was 98 - I was 13 when he died.  Not long after, at my dad's uncle's wake, I was exposed to The Family Look.  Mom popped her gum as we were standing around, and my aunt gave her the most withering stare I had ever seen.  I thought my mother was going to drop dead on the spot.  At my dad's wake a few years later, we laughed and laughed about it, after making sure Mom didn't have any gum.  

4 years after my dad died, my last remaining grandparent, mom's mom died.  Just before I left Chicago to move with you, my dad's oldest sister died.  A few years later, it was my uncle.  Thus, I was prepared when you were acting a bit off after your dad died - on the day of his wake, you suddenly decided to dye your hair, which you had previously let go grey.  Except you started too late and didn't let it set long enough, so it was a weird sort of purple instead of brown.  You were unprepared for loss - the only people in your life that had died were your grandfather, who you only saw once or twice a year, and a grandmother to whom you weren't close.  On top of that, you were already slightly estranged from your family.  You couldn't handle the cancer diagnosis and couldn't watch him decline at the end.  You were there while he was undergoing treatment, but once he was near the end, you withdrew.  Within a month, your grandmother was gone too - which cemented your withdrawl from your family.  You didn't even go to her funeral.  And then my aunt, deliverer of The Family Look, died next.  

A couple more years and it was my mom.  9 years to the day before you.

Another aunt.  Another uncle.  Then you.

I'm starting to think that maybe I might be...unlucky.

A



4 comments:


  1. I used to read your original blog a lifetime ago when I was navigating IF. I somehow rediscovered it today. I'm so sorry for your loss. Life is... life, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, as they say in The Princess Bride,"Life Is Pain, Highness. Anyone Who Says Differently Is Selling Something."

      Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete
  2. That is quite a history of loss. And a double loss on the same day.

    I can understand the thoughts of being unlucky amid all this. One of my loved ones is thinking the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every now and then, I am confronted with people who are maybe 10 years younger than me, and have just lost their first family member - usually a grandparent. It's just so odd.

      Delete