Friday, January 6, 2023

Incidentals

 Dear John,

Just got back from Aldi - you would have a stroke to see the prices of things these days.  $4 for a dozen eggs?  It wasn't that long ago that they were $0.78.  Might as well buy the organic free-range ones for $1 more.  Inflation is a beast.  But, we eat roughly 1/2 as much as when you were here, so the grocery bills haven't changed all that much.  

I keep trying to cook fatty meat in the oven.  You know what that means - the smoke alarm goes off every time.  Today it was a package of bacon.  Usually the max temperature is 450 degrees, but I guess that changes if there's too much fat.  Guess I will stick to the microwave for bacon, and the grill for steaks, because the oven is not cooperating.  And I definitely will not be turning on the broiler.  I will have to give it a good cleaning too, to make sure that there is no buildup on the oven walls.  I would use the oven cleaning setting, except that I know that too will set off the smoke alarms.  Maybe in spring when I can open all the windows...

S keeps telling me stories about her Spanish teacher.  I'm a little uncomfortable with how disrespectful S is being.  But since the teacher seems to regularly imply that she is stupid (I believe she called S "slow" in front of the class, which she is definitely not when it comes to school work and learning), I have a hard time justifying making S be more polite.  Anyway, the relevant story this week is that Senora R was widowed.  And within a year she had remarried.  They can't agree where to live, because she doesn't want to have to drive 45 minutes to work (from his house), and her house is too small for him and his kids.  But I am just astounded that one could move on so quickly.  I know people grieve differently, but here I am, almost 10 months later, still thinking of how you would appreciate this story or that movie or this dish I'm going to make.  I can't even work up the energy to go out and socialize with people, let alone meet someone new, date them, and decide to marry them.  I guess I'm really a Victorian when it comes to mourning.  A full year of staying home, with another 6-12 months of the minimum amount of socializing, and then maybe I'd be ready to...not move on, but at least not wish you were there with me all the time (or, ya know, waiting for me at home, if I'm being realistic).  I'm not going to do any dating anyway, but within a year?!  That's just crazy to me.  

I spent New Year's Eve with friends.  I really wanted to cancel at the last minute.  And I didn't really want to be there the whole time.  But it was good for me to go out instead of staying at home, alone, moping.  

We do have the cruise to look forward to - only a couple more months.  I think my sister's wedding was the last time I was on any kind of real vacation.  Well, maybe that weekend trip to Memphis counts.  Wisconsin doesn't really, but only because I didn't really want to go there.  

Your birthday is coming up.  Maybe that's why I'm feeling extra sad lately.  

Love,

A

2 comments:

  1. Well, you were more ambitious than I was for NYE. How did it feel to be out for a bit? I hope you were able to closed down your evening when you were ready to.

    Senora R's way does not sound appealing to me, either.

    We have a birthday this month, too. I can feel it coming, as do you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends was doing ridiculously silly stuff unintentionally - his wife kept giving him stuff to consume at midnight and he kept eating or drinking before midnight juuust before she would tell him not too. And since he was standing behind her, looking guilty, I couldn't stop laughing. So there were moments of fun, but I was glad to take off about 12:15.

    ReplyDelete