Friday, September 1, 2023

Work stuff

 Dear John,

Well, it was an exciting week at work.  Our former immediate supervisor, D, is now in charge of the whole lab.  For years, I have laughed silently to myself as she has portrayed herself as the super-empathetic, always nice, pleasant bestie who supports everyone in the place.  I have watched people buy into this story since you left.  And this last week, she showed her true snake nature to everyone, though I know some of them still haven't picked up on it.

Our new people came back from a meeting with her and our new-ish immediate supervisor, STUNNED at the way she turned on them.  They said "I don't have any respect for her after that meeting."  I just chuckled and said, "she's fine as long as she doesn't feel like things will reflect poorly on her.  But once that starts to happen...watch out."

Then we had a staff meeting, during which she again showed her true nature AND told a "motivational" story that left all of us wondering if she was telling us to quit our jobs.  I think the actual point of the story was to tell us to quit our bitching because we have it waaaay better than anyone else.  While that is sort of true, it doesn't negate the highly irritating behavior of our management.  The next day, one of my buddies in another section said "I just want her to drop the act.  We all know how she is now - there's no point in continuing to be fake."  I laughed at him too, because...that's just how she is.  Maybe I've never told him your story, so that's why it's news to him.  Regardless, I am entertained.

On top of that, on Tuesday, I started out with being greeted by a skunk when I pulled up to the gate at work.  I thought it was one of the cats that live next door (although someone must have TNR'd them, because there are hardly any roaming about any more), until I saw it waddling.  When the gate started to open, he raised his tail in warning.  He looked around and decided there was no threat and kept waddling on.  He was far enough away that his spray wouldn't have been likely to reach the car, but I did not want to test that theory.  On my way home, I was driving along and saw a motorcycle ahead of me, with something large and white on the back of it.  I looked as though the driver had a plastic trash bag tied to him or something.  I eventually caught up to the bike at a stop light - imagine my surprise when I turned to see that it was a person with a white fuzzy helmet with bunny ears.  😲

I did start the process to move my retirement eligibility date back to a year from now.  I don't know if you'd approve of the expense, but I think it will be worth it.  Either I could retire at the end of next year, or I will wait for S to finish her senior year and retire then.  I won't have quite as much sick time saved as I would like if I opt for the end of next year.  It may not matter, though - I have to calculate out the days I will need.  And if I wait until S graduates, I should have an entire additional 1.67% for my retirement rate.  Or more.  Regardless, it's time to go.  I have loved my job over the last 30 years - and I've hated it too.  But it's time to make room for the new people.  It's not my identity any more, and it hasn't been for a while.  For sure since you died, and maybe before that.  

Your brother invited us to a birthday party for his kids this weekend.  S has to work, so we're not going.  But that was unusual.  I'll probably send some gifts anyway.  I don't remember how old his son is, 4 or 5?  I found some fishing reels in the garage - I gave them to my fisherman friends at work.  S said she didn't want them.  I assume they were probably your dad's or grandfather's.  I probably should've given them to the little guy for his birthday.  But it's much easier to order something from Amazon, since I won't be going down that way.  I wish you were here to attend - you always loved interacting with your nieces and nephews.  Your siblings never appreciated that.

Love,

A

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a story, between Snakewoman and John. Congrats on deciding about retirement. You sound very clear on it, which is a really good sign that it's a good decision and timing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make sense for me to continue to work - I have already maxed out what I would make. I'd probably have to stay 5-10 more years to improve my retirement income, and it's not really worth it.

      I will have to remember to tell the snake story...

      Delete