Sunday, April 28, 2024

April Updates

 Dear John,

I am watching a show where they speak to murderers, and I would really like you to be sitting here with me so we could be indignant and yell at the TV together.  The self-deception some people engage in is amazing.  (I am binge watching this show today.  3 of the 4 killers I've watched so far have come out of Missouri.)

Related, I was watching a show called Leavenworth, which is about a platoon leader named Lorance who ordered troops to fire on some Afghani men on a motorcycle.  Two of the three were killed.  His troops all appeared in the documentary to say that they thought it was absolutely unjustified.  The guy's whole demeanor screamed "They're all guilty of something."  They made a pretty weak case that he was used as an example to placate the Afghans, and he was eventually pardoned by Trump.  He also tried to introduce the fact that he is gay as an excuse for why they were railroading him.   But the troops were not convinced - they still hold that Lorance was an asshole looking to add some kills to his military record.  I completely believe them, but I'd be curious to hear what you would say about it.

Related, it seems as though I can now apply for your pension, and not see any reduction in my DIC.  After you died, they said I wasn't entitled to anything, but I think they changed the rules last year.  Anyway, after waiting 6 months for the National Archives to not send me the paperwork I needed, and people in basically the same office that I initially contacted to send it to me the same day I emailed the appropriate paperwork, I have applied for your pension.  We shall see how that goes.

Work has settled down.  I will spend the next 7 months settling all the details toward retirement, and I hope to retire at the end of the year.  I also requested to attend a conference in Reno.  I doubt I will get approved, but it's fun to consider!

S went to prom last night.  She spent hours picking her dress, picking her boyfriend's suit, making her own bouquet and boutonniere (see photo - she inspired her friends to do the same, but she ended up helping all of them make their bouquets), getting her hair and nails done.  She's a bit of a control freak.  When we were in Hawaii, she spent half an hour arguing with her boyfriend because he was getting mad at her for telling him what to do.  She seems to have had fun.  She was telling me all the gossip from the event.  That's always entertaining.  It seems your mom's neighbor's granddaughter got up to some shenanigans.  You would have enjoyed that story.  I sent a picture of S and her boyfriend in their finery to the group chat.  I am now officially offended on S's behalf that your mother completely ignores her.  Oh well - I think I will have a graduation party for S next year.  I'll invite your family, and that will probably be the end of our association.    Seems strange, but inevitable.


We had a great time at my sister's earlier this month.  We went for the total eclipse.  My bestie came down with her family.  I don't know how it was that I spent the last 7 years telling my sister that we (my friend, her family, me, S) would be coming to her house for the eclipse and she was STILL surprised when I told her that everyone was coming.  She doesn't really like to entertain, but she stepped up anyway.  I think she had a good time - it's hard not to around my friends.  They're so lively.  My oldest sister's husband came down too - we all had fun.  It wasn't much of a trigger for me - you didn't come to the last one either.  It would only have been a half hour drive, and you were too busy with your stock market nonsense.  Sigh.  The things you missed out on.

We have some sort of water issue in the bathroom.  I can't see a leak.  I think I will recaulk the tub and tile around there, caution S about being careful with her showers, and see what happens.  It's dripping in the basement, but seems intermittent.  I guess I can call a plumber, but I don't really want to.  We'll see what I can DIY.

I also went down to see your watch friend this weekend.  He helped me so much with your stuff, and had another watch show this year.  I told him I would come, and I wanted to stick to my word.  But it was prom night, and so I drove 4 hours round-trip and stayed for an hour.  During that time, he complained about statue removal, and his wife said some racist stuff.  So, while my pushback was mild, I feel as though any obligation I had is fulfilled and I need never speak to them again.  I don't have time for that nonsense.  Sigh - otherwise good people with extremely provincial experience and ensuing bigotry.  It makes me sad for them that they think that way.  Anyway, he made a wristwatch out of one of your Hamiltons.  It's really nice and he said he wouldn't ever sell it.  So, your watches live on.  I think I will go look at the ones I have left.

Anyway, that's all I have to complain about today.

Love,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment