Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Notes on Fall

 Dear John,

It seems that S is really done with your mom.  Her only grandmother, and she has no interest in seeing her.  We used to stop by or go out to dinner every time we went to the dentist, since they're in the same town.  We went there today, and I asked S if she wanted me to call your mom.  Her response was a flat No.  I guess being forgotten for the past few years has negated all the previous relationship-building they did.  Also, your mom kind of treated her like she did you - more critical than necessary while being totally soft on all the other kids.  Oh well.  I'm sad for her, but I don't blame her.  

Work is annoying.  I think I'm going to have to go to the doctor, because my blood pressure is high, and I should probably treat it.  I had to mow the lawn this weekend - the mowers are done for the year and I'm not paying a higher fee for "fall cleanup."  It took a few pulls for the lawnmower to start.  I think I'll ask your brother to tune it up next summer.  

I did manage to get someone to come and put that piece of fascia back up.  I couldn't reach on the ladder - the guy I hired couldn't really either, though he got closer than I could.  He ended up screwing it back in rather than nailing - probably better that way anyway.  It will probably stay in place until I have to get new siding.

Speaking of screwing things in, I decided to order a new set of power tools.  Your old set is dead - the batteries don't charge at all anymore.  I assume I will be able to sell the tools themselves on Facebook marketplace or something.  We shall see.  I guess it's my Christmas present to myself.  I don't know if I will use them, but I don't want to be without a drill or saw.  

I did get a lot done this weekend, with the yard and cleaning the house.  I guess that's good.  My cousin came down - he is visiting a man that he once mentored at the maximum security prison down here.  I guess the kid had a bit of a rough start, single mom, gang-member dad in jail, I think.  But he was doing OK until he one night got drunk and stabbed someone to death.  I admire my cousin for sticking with him - not many would.  I don't agree with my cousin on most of his views on religion, but I'm glad he's following the principles he espouses.  

Thanksgiving is next week, and S is doing the same thing you would.  Assuming that we'll be done with our Thanksgiving dinner early enough that she'll be able to go to her boyfriend's house too.  I hope she enjoys herself.  I would have liked to go to my sister's.  But I'll be going to the botanical gardens for my friend's birthday Friday or Saturday, so that will be fun.  

Time to walk the dogs and then go to bed.  We're watching The Lion King - I don't really like the movie, but S wanted to watch.  I guess I'll have to wait til it's over before I can go to bed.  I miss the days when you would watch the terrible movies with S.  I miss you.

Love,

A

2 comments:

  1. I do love your letters to John about the big things and the little things that are going on for you. The botanical gardens sounds like a nourishing way to spend part of the Thanksgiving weekend.

    Does this mean you didn't get called for jury duty, as you predicted?

    Wishing you a good-as-possible Thanksgiving holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to the nature of my job, and the fact that I occasionally testify...no one is ever going to call me for jury duty. That sucks - I would like to be on the other side.

      I hope you all had some nice Thanksgiving moments - I know it's still hard.

      Delete